The Philadelphia Union will be returning to the pitch in a two weeks in the MLS is Back Tournament in Orlando, Florida.
Here’s what we know based on the information that’s been released.
- The Union returned to training in Chester on June 24. They plan to take a charter flight to Orlando on July 2.
- The Union are in Group A with Chicago Fire, Inter Miami, Nashville SC, New York City FC, Orlando City SC, but will only play New York City FC (July 9, at 9 a.m.), Nashville SC (July 14, at 8 p.m.) and Inter Miami (July 19, 10:30 p.m.).
- The Union’s three group stage matches will be broadcast live on ESPN, TUDN and FS1. The matches will be streamed live on the ESPN App, on the TUDN app/in English on the @TUDN Twitter account and on the Fox Sports App.
- The Union will play the wildcard team from B/C/D/E on July 25 if they finish first in the group and the second place finisher in Group C on July 25 if they come in second. They’ll play the first place team in Group B on July 27 if they finish third and the first place team in Group C if they finish fourth and advance as a wild card team.
- The quarterfinals will be played July 30-August 1, the semifinals August 5-6 and the final on August 11.
- Teams will have 23-player game day rosters and will be able to use five substitutions but will only have a maximum of three opportunities to make those substitutions.
- The tournament winner will automatically qualify for the Concacaf Champions League, replacing the spot usually awarded to the top finisher in the standings that doesn’t already qualify another way.
- Players will have the opportunity to earn additional bonuses as part of a $1.1 million prize pool.
- The league plans to resume a modified schedule after the completion of the tournament with the possibility that some markets may allow fans at games but those dates have not been set and it’s not clear when fans might be permitted to attend games at Subaru Park in Chester.
- All 26 MLS teams and their staffs will be housed at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort. All games will be played at the ESPN Wild World of Sports Complex.
- Union players will be wearing custom #EndRacism shin guards from Kings Pro Custom Shinguards.
- Beer from The Larimer Beer Company was sent along with other team supplies heading to Orlando.
- Players and staff will be practicing social distancing and will be tested regularly and asked to follow other social distancing and safety protocols while in Orlando.
- ESPN has a report with additional details and information about the “bubble” in Orlando.