clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Steel FC winless streak stretches to five with 3-0 loss to Ottawa Fury

Things started brightly for the Steel, but ended in another loss in front of the home fans

Bethlehem Steel FC head coach Brendan Burke
Photo by Morgan Tencza

After failing to capitalize on a flurry of early chances inside 20 minutes, the Bethlehem Steel FC conceded three times in a 3-0 loss to the Ottawa Fury at Talen Energy Stadium on Sunday night.

Philadelphia Union defender Olivier Mbaizo had the home team flying high in the early, looking dangerous going forward with his pace and sending enticing balls into the box. He also had a good look at goal in the 20th minute with a hard shot in the box that was hit out for a corner. Faris also had some good looks at goal.

The visitors struck first through Christiano Francois, who was involved in all three goals on the day.

The Steel outshot the Fury 13-9 but the visitors had 7 shots on goal to the Steel’s 4.

Philadelphia Union goalkeeper Carlos Miguel Coronel kept the score from being even more lopsided with four saves, including a fine finger tip save to deny Amar Sejdic late. The Brazilian also stood tall on a dangerous free kick and an opportunity from Carl Haworth in the box in the first half. Haworth set up the opening with cross to the back post to set up Francois.

With the 1-0 lead coming out of the locker room, the Fury was able to find the back of the net on a well taken shot off a cut back from Wal Fall in the 57th minute. Fontana had a good look in the box that went wide of the target off a cross from Wálter Cortés, who started the game in the midfield, in the 62nd minute that would have cut the deficit in half.

Mour Samb then put the game away with an easy finish in front of goal after Francois beat Fabinho in a foot race off the counter and raced into the box to set up Samb with a cross.

“With a loss like this, we’re going to have to make a lot of adjustments,” Steel FC center back Ben Ofeimu said after the match. “Just go into Louisville [City FC] with our heads up and learn from this game.”

The Steel was held scoreless for the fourth time this season and after a solid start to their campaign has now gone more than a month without a win, which was a 3-1 victory over Charleston Battery on April 16. Draws against Loudoun United FC (3-3) and Atlanta United 2 (1-1) followed a 3-0 loss at home April 20 to Indy Eleven.

“It was a bad night,” Faris said. “We just have to think about the next game and get over it. We all played bad today, and we just have to forget about it.”