I was able to catch up with Ryan Bross, the Sons of Ben’s Tifo Director about the tifo for today’s match between the Philadelphia Union and Columbus Crew SC. The banner recreates the iconic poster for the 1976 movie “Jaws”, using the ubiquitous cheesesteak in place of the shark and re-titling the piece “Jawns” - that most utilitarian of words from the Philadelphian dialect.
One of the best parts of the tifo is the details Bross incorporated into the design. Take special note of the boat. “Bonus is adding (Crew owner Anthony) Precourt as the coxswain yelling at the original crew logo with a black and green megaphone,” Bross said. Precourt is on the left (west) side and the megaphone’s colors are the same colors used in the astroturf MLS2ATX “movement” started by Precourt Sports Ventures. There’s also a #SaveTheCrew sticker on the boat.
And where on earth would you get a cheesesteak of that size? Jim (Curtin)’s of course.
- A closeup of the cheesesteak. Ryan Bross
- The cheesesteak coming up from beneath on the crew rowing their yellow boat. Ryan Bross
- Full view from the bottom of the tifo Ryan Bross
- The entire tifo laid out in the Neshaminy creek Brewing Company warehouse where it was painted. Ryan Bross
- The crew in the boat. Notice Anthony Precourt as the coxswain and the #SaveTheCrew sticker on the boat. Ryan Bross
- Where would this cheesesteak come from? Jim (Curtin)’s of course... Ryan Bross