clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

No Road Revolution Found: New England Revolution 3-0 Philadelphia Union

MLS: Philadelphia Union at New England Revolution Winslow Townson-USA TODAY Sports

It just gets worse and worse for the Philadelphia Union on the road in 2017. They’ve won one road match all year, and that one match was all the way back in May. Tonight they visited Foxboro and left recipients of a 3-0 defeat at the hands of the New England Revolution.

The Union got off to a slow start in the attack. Too often they bypassed their attacking midfielders in favor of long balls to CJ Sapong that never worked. And the Union’s night did not get any better on the attacking front, as they struggled to register quality chances on goal throughout the match.

The New England Revolution opened the match’s scoring in the 38th minute. Kelyn Rowe chipped the ball into the box in a rather routine fashion, but Kei Kamara found a way to really make the most of it. Kamara leaped into the air and delivered what looked like a karate kick to the ball just as John McCarthy was about to bat it away. Kamara directed the ball into the net for a really beautiful goal. At its peak, Kamara’s foot must have been at least 7 feet off the ground, if not more.

New England Revolution continued to pepper John McCarthy’s goal with shots, and the Union were quite fortunate to not go down 2-0 sooner than they ended up doing. At one point the Revs had gotten in behind the Union back line, but Teal Bunbury and Diego Fagundez each taking one touch too many kept the Union in the match. Unfortunately for the Union though, they did little to capitalize on the opportunities given to them. The closest the Union came to scoring occurred in the 69th minute. A nice Haris Medunjanin corner kick got headed by Oguchi Onyewu towards goal, but the Revs backline headed it away off the line.

In the 85th minute, the Union would see any chance at salvaging a point from the match go up in flames. With Sapong unable to possess the ball after Rowe got dispossessed, Lee Nguyen played it to the left side of the Union back line vacated by Giliano Wijnaldum. On the receiving end of Nguyen’s ball, Andrew Farrell played through a simple cross into the box which Kamara latched onto and slotted past McCarthy into the back of the net to make it 2-0 Revolution.

Then four minutes later, the Revs got a chance to rub some salt in the wound. Once again, a ball got played into space on Wijnaldum’s side and once again a simple cross got played into the box, this time by Scott Caldwell. Caldwell’s cross made it to 2nd half substitute Juan Agudelo. Agudelo leaped over Ray Gaddis to latch onto the cross with his head, and Agudelo succeeded in turning the cross into the Revolution’s third and final goal of the evening, completing the clean sheet for the Revolution.

While the Union have only won one road match this year, they have won six home matches and fortunately for them, the Union’s next two matches are being played at Talen Energy Stadium. First up is a 7:00 Saturday evening match against FC Dallas of the Western Conference.