clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Recap: Union dominate Revolution, 3-0

Behind a potent attack, the Union picked up a convincing win over the Revs.

MLS: New England Revolution at Philadelphia Union Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

Off a heartbreaking loss in penalties in the US Open Cup, the Philadelphia Union convincingly dismantled the New England Revolution, 3-0. CJ Sapong, Ilsinho, and Roland Alberg all chipped in with goals.

The match got off to a great start for the Union. In just the second minute, referee Chris Penso awarded Philadelphia a penalty kick as he whistled Benjamin Angoua for a handball in the box.

Despite protests from the Revs about the call, CJ Sapong stepped up to the spot and scored his ninth goal of the season, tying his career-high, to put the Union up 1-0.

The Revs nearly equalized just moments later. In the 12th minute, Teal Bunbury slid the ball past the last defender to find Kei Kamara running into the box. Andre Blake read the situation early, though, as he rushed out to deny Kamara.

The game came to a stop in the 30th minute, when Revolution forward Kei Kamara went up for a bicycle kick and managed to connect with Oguchi Onyewu’s dome twice in the process. His shot hit Gooch right in the face, and his foot hit him in the head on the follow-through. Onyewu was tended to on the pitch during a three-minute hydration break and did eventually make his way back into the match.

In the second half, Philadelphia would again strike quickly in the opening minutes. In the 48th minute, Fafa Picault sent in a dazzling ball to the on-running Ilsinho. The Brazilian hit an incredible half-volley into the far corner past Cody Cropper to double the Union lead.

New England had one of their best opportunities of the game two minutes later, as Je-Vaughn Watson’s close-range shot beat Andre Blake but clattered against the post and bounced clear.

From there, the Union controlled the match. Second-half substitute Roland Alberg added a third goal on his first touch of the match in the 78th minute. His filthy shot flew into the top right corner to put the team up 3-0 and all but assure the Union of three points.

The whistle blew just over ten minutes later as Philadelphia finished off an easy win against New England. New England remains winless on the road this season with a paltry 0-7-3 record.

With key players such as Kelyn Rowe, Juan Agudelo, and Antonio Delamea for New England as well as Alejandro Bedoya for the Union all away for international duty, both teams had selection dilemmas to deal with. In the Union double pivot, Derrick Jones made the start for Bedoya. Teal Bunbury and Je-Vaughn Watson got the start on the wings for Rowe and Agudelo, and Josh Smith got the start in the center of defense in place of Delamea.

With the win, the Union move just three points behind the last playoff spot, with two matches in hand on sixth-place Columbus. Jim Curtin’s side will be back in action Thursday at Children’s Mercy Park against Sporting Kansas City. Kickoff is scheduled for 8:30 PM EST.