Cross-state rivals Penn and Pitt shared the spoils in the first ever meeting between the two programs in a spring exhibition match on Saturday afternoon at Rhodes Field in West Philly.
Former D.C. United and Philadelphia Union Academy forward Colin Brezniak (Hanover, Pa.) got the goal for the Panthers, while New York Red Bulls Academy alum Jerel Blades scored for the Quakers. Brezniak thought he had a second goal early in the second half, but it was waived off by the linesman’s flag.
An early enrollee to Pitt who last played for the Union for the U16s in 2015, Brezniak is one of six mid-year additions for head coach Jay Vidovich ahead of his second season at the helm.
Fellow newcomer Marconi Pimental, a Brazilian-born midfielder who has featured for German youth national teams and the youth squads of Bundesliga side SC Freiburg, helped Pitt control much of the tempo and possession throughout the match.
But Penn’s defense proved difficult to break down, something that happened all too often during the regular season last year (the team conceded 29 goals in 17 matches). Brandon Bartel was at the center of much of the action on both sides of the field for the Quakers. The back line, anchored by Erumuse Momoh and Gideon Metrikin, did well under pressure to hold off the up and coming ACC foe through the rest of the match.
Saturday’s game was the first of the spring for Penn, which will host the annual Philly Soccer Six event at Penn Park on April 8. Penn is scheduled to play Temple. The times and full schedule of games have not yet been announced.
- Marcony Pimentel on the ball for Pitt with Gavin Barger defending Matt Ralph
- Matt Bischoff pushes into the box with Gideon Metrikin (left) and Gavin Barger defending Matt Ralph
- Brandon Bartel Matt Ralph
- Colin Brezniak Matt Ralph
- Alex Peperek Matt Ralph
- Bryce Cregan (Dallastown, Pa.) Matt Ralph
- Gideon Metrikin plays the ball forward Matt Ralph
- Erumuse Momoh (left) and Roosevelt Angulo (right) Matt Ralph
- Jerel Blades (left) and Alex Peperak (right) Matt Ralph
- Marcony Pimentel takes a touch Matt Ralph
- Nagu Chidambaram (middle) and Josh Coan (right) Matt Ralph
- Marcony Pimentel fights off Erumuse Momoh Matt Ralph
- Colin Brezniak Matt Ralph
- Pitt gets its defense set for a free kick Matt Ralph
- Sam Wancowicz makes a run forward Matt Ralph
- Brandon Bartel on the ball Matt Ralph
- Joe Swenson Matt Ralph
- Javi Perez on the ball with Jerel Blades giving chase Matt Ralph
- Tom Moxham Matt Ralph
- Colin Brezniak reacts to his goal be called off by the linesman’s flag Matt Ralph
- Matt Bischoff Matt Ralph
- Roosevelt Angulo on the ball with Erumuse Momoh defending Matt Ralph
- Austin Kuhn (Wyomissing, Pa.) Matt Ralph
- Marcony Pimentel on the ball with Gavin Barger defending Matt Ralph
- Promise Adebayo-Ige Matt Ralph
- Brandon Bartel brings the ball down Matt Ralph
- Javi Perez (left) and Joe Swenson (middle) fight for the ball Matt Ralph
- Alex Peperak Matt Ralph
- Gavin Barger (left) and Marcony Pimentel Matt Ralph
- Gideon Metrikin Matt Ralph
- Javi Perez Matt Ralph
- Dami Omitaomu Matt Ralph