As they have in their first two league matches, the Philadelphia Union played to another draw in a scrimmage with the University of Maryland at Talen Energy Stadium on Sunday morning.
Charlie Davies scored a goal late in the first half with a tap-in off a cross from Roland Alberg after Ilsinho found space down the right side. The Union had a few other chances in the half but Maryland goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair stepped up with a pair of saves and the Terps back line did well to block a couple other shot attempts.
Goalkeeper John McCarthy and the Union back line - Auston Trusty and Jack Elliott pairing in the middle with Giliano Wijnaldum and Raymon Gaddis on the wings - didn’t have much to do in the first half save for a couple runs from Gordon Wild and Jake Rozhansky.
Maryland had their break through late in the second half when Amar Sejdic sent a long free kick into the box toward Sebastian Elney and after bouncing around the box found its way to Wild at the far post for the finish past McCarthy. Wild was second in the nation in goals with 17 for the Terps last season and spurned a Generation adidas offer to return for his junior season.
Marcus Epps created a few chances after subbing in down the left flank and nearly won the game late with a shot that missed high.
It was a frustrating finish for the Union after dominating possession and tempo throughout, but as these training ground matches go it still accomplished the desired result. Players like Trusty, Elliott, Wijnaldum, Creavalle all put in 90-minute shifts while others like Ilsinho, Alberg and Davies put in strong shifts. Rookies Adam Najem, Epps, Aaron Jones and Bethlehem Steel players Burke, Yosef Samuel and Hugh Roberts also got minutes.
Fafa Picault and Alberg were the only players who played in the 2-2 draw with Toronto FC on Saturday to appear in the match. Both came off the bench in the second half on Saturday night.
For Trusty, who was one of three Philadelphia Union Academy alums on the field Sunday - Samuel and Elney the others - it was a chance to play a full game with his club after missing most of preseason while away with the United States U20 team in Costa Rica for World Cup qualifying.
“Getting minutes in and getting some touches back on the ball with the Union is good and I’m happy to be back,” Trusty said, noting that his time with the U20 team has helped build his confidence.
The Union beat Maryland in a midweek scrimmage played in a downpour at Talen Energy Stadium last April by a 5-0 score line with a number of starters playing. That Terps team went on to go undefeated in the regular season before losing to Providence in a shocking 5-4 result in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
- Giliano Wijnaldum controls the ball Matt Ralph
- Gordon Wild dribbles the ball with Giliano Wijnaldum and Auston Trusty defending Matt Ralph
- Maryland defender George Campbell Matt Ralph
- Auston Trusty clears the ball Matt Ralph
- Warren Creavalle moves the ball with Keegan Kelly defending Matt Ralph
- Jack Elliott defends against Gordon Wild Matt Ralph
- Fola Adetola Matt Ralph
- Sebastian Elney pushes forward Matt Ralph
- Adam Najem and Jake Rozhansky clash Matt Ralph
- Giliano Wijnaldum Matt Ralph
- Marcus Epps on the ball with Donovan Pines defending Matt Ralph
- Charlie Davies takes a shot Matt Ralph
- Goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair Matt Ralph
- Donovan Pines slides in on Marcus Epps Matt Ralph
- Maryland goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair Matt Ralph
- Jake Rozhansky on the ball with Aaron Jones defending Matt Ralph
- Yosef Samuel pushes forward Matt Ralph
- Maryland defender Connor Smith on the ball with Raymon Gaddis defending Matt Ralph
- Maryland midfielder Jake Rozhansky Matt Ralph
- Amar Sejdic slides in on Marcus Epps Matt Ralph
- Roland Alberg delivering an assist to the far post to Charlie Davies Matt Ralph
- Ilsinho makes a move with Amar Sejdic defending Matt Ralph
- Brian Carroll makes a pass Matt Ralph
- Sebastian Elney and Warren Creavalle go for a ball in the air Matt Ralph
- Fafa Picault on the break Matt Ralph
- Ilsinho taking on three Maryland defenders Matt Ralph
- Ilsinho threads a ball into the box past Maryland defender Miles Stray Matt Ralph
- Fafa Picault looks to make a move with George Campbell defending Matt Ralph
- Donovan Pines beats Fafa Picault to the ball Matt Ralph
- Roland Alberg on the ball with Amar Sejdic defending Matt Ralph
- Maryland forward Gordon Wild Matt Ralph
- George Campbell and Fafa Picault get tangled up Matt Ralph
- Charlie Davies on the ball with Donovan Pines defending Matt Ralph
- John McCarthy Matt Ralph
Philadelphia Union: GK: John McCarthy, D: Giliano Wijnaldum, D: Auston Trusty, D: Jack Elliott, D: Raymon Gaddis, MF: Brian Carroll, MF: Warren Creavalle, MF: Fafa Picault, MF: Ilsinho, MF: Roland Alberg, F: Charlie Davies
Subs: D: Aaron Jones, D: Hugh Roberts*, MF: Yosef Samuel*, F: Cory Burke*, MF: Marcus Epps, MF: Adam Najem
* Bethlehem Steel FC player
Maryland: GK: Dayne St. Clair, D: Connor Smith, D: Miles Stray, D: Donovan Pines, D: George Campbell, MF: Andrew Samuels, MF: Amar Sedjic, MF: Keegan Kelly, MF: Jake Rozhansky, F: Sebastian Elney, F: Gordon Wild
Subs: F: DJ Reeves, D: Griffin Bouchard, MF: Jorge Calix, MF: Luca Levee, MF: Eli Crognale, MF: Fola Adetola, MF: Mike Heitzmann