A Drexel team that struggled to score last season exploded for five goals in their first spring exhibition match of the year against Canadian youth club North Scarborough SC on Sunday morning.
Missing four departing seniors from their 2016 roster and a fifth player who plans to transfer, the Dragons didn’t look that different from the team that went 1-14-2 in the fall. But a trio of rising seniors did show well in their first action of the spring exhibition season.
That trio includes Dakota Peterson, a midfielder out of the Colorado Rapids Academy, who patrolled the midfielder, midfielder Erik Alexanderrson and Spanish forward Xavier Bou Hernandez, who was involved in a healthy percentage of Drexel’s scoring chances on the day.
Other notable contributors on the day included rising sophomore forward Carlos Cuevas, an Orlando City Academy alum and rising junior Sebastien Cabral.
Four of Drexel’s five goals came after the break after Alexandersson opened the scoring in the first half. The game was the third in three days for North Scarborough, which played Temple on Friday night and La Salle on Saturday.
Hernandez had the second goal and the Dragons ended the half with three goals in the final 12 minutes from defender Daniel Klemm, who headed home a corner from Peterson, Cabral and Cuevas, who buried a shot first time that beat the keeper to his right.
“We had good moments of running forward and getting numbers into the penalty box,” head coach Doug Hess said. “We had intent to play forward and we scored five goals, which is good.”
Drexel will continue its spring exhibition slate hosting NJIT at 5 p.m. on Saturday, March 11.
- Robert Smith and North Scarborough defender Matteo Cario go for the ball Matt Ralph
- David Hall starts the counter for North Scarborough Matt Ralph
- Erik Alexandersson and goalkeeper Cameron Sanders Matt Ralph
- Terrell Roberts receives the ball for North Scarborough
- Christopher Badibengi pushes forward for North Scarborough
- Defender Strick Newsom dribbles out of the back Matt Ralph
- Forward Xavier Bou Hernandez defends against Christopher Badibengi Matt Ralph
- Midfielder Armin Efendic (Lititz, Pa.) on the ball Matt Ralph
- Satchel Bruney controls the ball for North Scarborough
- Midfielder Erik Alexandersson sends a ball forward Matt Ralph
- Xavier Bou Hernandez on the break Matt Ralph
- Armin Efendic takes a shot Matt Ralph
- Defender Alejandro Quinonez wins the ball in the air Matt Ralph
- Carlos Cuevas takes a shot Matt Ralph
- Carlos Cuevas’ shot beat the NSSC goalkeeper to his right Matt Ralph
- Dakota Peterson congratulates Carlos Cuevas after his goal Matt Ralph
- David Hall and Jordan Smalls kick off after a goal by Drexel Matt Ralph
- Xavier Bou Hernandez controls the ball Matt Ralph
- Dakota Peterson on the counter attack Matt Ralph
- Carlos Cuevas Matt Ralph
- Midfielder Robert Smith Matt Ralph
- Dakota Peterson Matt Ralph
- Defender Alejandro Quinonez Matt Ralph
- Carlos Cuevas pushes forward Matt Ralph
- Midfielder Erik Alexandersson goes for the ball against Alexander Della Penna Matt Ralph
- Xavier Bou Hernandez shields off two defenders Matt Ralph