A tournament featuring youth teams from the Philadelphia Union, three other Major League Soccer teams and four top-flight clubs in Mexico kicks off on Thursday in Mexico City.
The Philadelphia Union Academy U16 team will be joined by MLS academy teams FC Dallas, San Jose Earthquakes and LA Galaxy and Liga MX youth squads from Santos Laguna, Club Tijuana, Pachuca and Pumas.
The boys in blue will kick off play at 1 p.m. Eastern Time today against the LA Galaxy. Their schedule for the rest of the tournament is as follows:
- Friday, August 5 - Pumas, 11 a.m. Eastern
- Saturday, August 6 - Santos Laguna, 11 a.m. Eastern
- Monday, August 8 - San Jose Earthquakes, 11 a.m. Eastern
- Tuesday, August 9 - Club Tijuana, 1 p.m. Eastern
- Wednesday, August 10 - Pachuca, 1 p.m. Eastern
- Friday, August 12 - FC Dallas, 1 p.m. Eastern
The final will be played Saturday August 13 at noon Eastern time.
This year’s tournament is the third edition and marks the second time MLS academy teams have participated. Chicago Fire, FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo and Toronto FC were in the tournament in 2014 and Bundesliga clubs sent youth teams last year.
Pachuca defeated Chicago Fire in the final the first year and Chivas Guadalajara beat Eintracht Frankfurt to hoist the trophy last year.