clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Philadelphia Fury vs Mass United recap

The Philadelphia Fury blow a two goal lead on the way to a 3-3 tie


The Philadelphia Fury played Mass United FC  in American Soccer League action on Saturday. The game saw the two teams play a game that gave the crowd on attendance an entertaining night. Philadelphia opened the scoring in the tenth minute when Nic Kolarac flipped his shot pass the Mass keeper to open the scoring. A few minutes later Seydou Ba received a cross from Josh Challah and cleanly put it past the keeper to give the Fury a 2-0 lead.

Mass United tied the game with two quick goals of their own. Lasannah Sanha collected a pass on the counter attack and beat Fury Keeper Thorne Holder to put Mass United on the board.  Mass's second goal came from Carlos Diniz, who outworked a Fury defender and his shot went between Holder's legs to make it 2-2. The Fury got the final goal of the half however when Scott McCoubrey took a shot from the 18 yard box that bounced awkwardly in and off the Mass keeper's fingertips and into the net to make it 3-2  going into the half.

For the second half, a phrase I used while live tweeting from the Brotherly Game Live account best described what occurred: Organized Chaos. Both sides did much more on the offensive side of the ball than the defensive side, with shots on goal coming heavy from both sides. On multiple occasions, Holder made huge saves to keep the game level. The game was a bit of a chippy affair, and Fury forward Ansger Otto was sent off with a red for a hard challenge. Captain Josh Danza received a yellow for another.

Mass tied the game when Denivaldo DaSilva scored with a breakaway goal to make it 3-3 in the 53rd minute. DaSilva got free in the box and shot it past Holder to make it a tie game. For the rest of the match it was back to organized chaos, as both teams were all offense and many fouls given. Hard challenges were done and players hit the ground. Mass United's Mikhaeil Tadrose received a second yellow which led to a red. The referee had pretty much lost control of this match.

The match ended 3-3 with both sides playing well but defense lacking in a match that was entertaining for fans but left both coaches frustrated.  The Fury go on the road for the final time in the fall season when they play the Rhode Island Oceaneers on Saturday November 1.