clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Angry Hackworth Rips Head Referee After Hand Ball No Call

The Union's head coach acknowledged that he'd have to pay a fine for his post-game comments.

The possible hand ball that received no call.
The possible hand ball that received no call.

Stepping before the Philadelphia Union's media after a 2-2 tie with the Seattle Sounders, head coach John Hackworth made it clear that he was not happy with the head referee's decisions at the end of the game.

The full text of his comments, via ProSoccerTalk:

"I'll raise my hand and I'll take the fine but it has to be said. We cannot be in this league, have this level of play and have officiating be this bad. As bad as that.

Having watch some replays from the last 10 minutes, it absolutely blew my mind. Full credit to Seattle, they are a very good team but that should not have ended in a draw.

There's a clear penalty at the end of the game and how it's not called is beyond me. There were so many parts to that game that were mismanaged by the officials. I don't even know what to say.

It's not just one play, forget that we should have a penalty kick on the clearest handball you can see on video. It was bizarre and it can't happen in this league. I'm going to make a bold statement and that should not be allowed. That guy has come here before and done the exact same thing."

Hackworth was upset with Jorge Gonzalez's choice to allow play to progress in the last minute of the game, despite what appeared to be a hand ball on Sounders left back Leo Gonzalez in the Seattle box. Philadelphia striker Conor Casey had attempted to redirect a rebound toward the net, but was unable to handle his half-volley and it careened into the unnaturally out stretched arm and hand of Seattle's Gonzalez.

The game ended in one point for both teams after each team lost a player to a straight red card in a scuffle between Sheanon Williams and Lamar Neagle. Then the Sounders lost young right back DeAndre Yedlin on his poor tackle from behind on Michael Farfan.

All three red cards, a yellow card to Eddie Johnson for kneeing Antoine Hoppenot, and the no call hand ball came in the final 10 minutes (including stoppage time) of the game.