And then there were no Farfans.
In what was one of the fastest moving Union-related stories in quite some time, today we learned that Michael Farfan has at very least gone to Mexico City to undergo a physical exam for Liga MX side Cruz Azul. The story was seemingly broken by a Mexican soccer blog via twitter, which then took off once the English-language bloggers caught wind of it. While Liga MX teams don't normally pursue MLS players who have no Mexican experience, it is of note that Gabriel Farfan (who now plays for Chivas de Guadalajara's MLS affiliate) came up through Club America's youth system, so the Farfan brothers have probably been on the Liga MX radar for some time now. So here's what we know:
- Michael is listed on Cruz Azul's website as a transfer that is not official yet.
- Farfan is also listed on Cruz Azul's roster
- The MLS website has a story up on the transfer, as does ESPNDeportes
- The Union have not commented
Here's what we don't know:
- The conditions of the deal. There was speculation whether it is a loan with an option to buy or a straight purchase. Nothing official is being reported by Cruz Azul, Major League Soccer, or the Philadelphia Union.
We will be closely monitoring this story and will work to bring updates as they are verified by reliable sources.