- 00:05 - Pregame handshakes.
- 00:20 - Chase Harrison and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar collide inside of the Philadelphia Union 18. Huntelaar was accidentally hit in the face by Harrison, who was attempting to punch a cross out of his area. The Dutch striker was diagnosed with a concussion and his face had already begun to swell up. Schalke was awarded a penalty kick as a result of the collision.
- 00:26 - Sergio Escudero scores a goal for Schalke, tying the game at one. The Spanish left back lined up a shot and curled a 25-yarder past Harrison, who was left flat footed on the play. The ball found the inside of the left post off of a possible deflection by Josue Martinez.
- 00:54 - Lewis Holtby steps up to take the penalty shot and puts it off of the underside of the crossbar. The shot bounces up and is collected by Harrison.
- 01:21 - Raymon Gaddis sends a low ball toward the Schalke goal, from the left side of the box, and the pass is deflected to Chandler Hoffman. The Generation Adidas striker stops his forward momentum and reaches behind himself with his left foot to shoot the ball. The 12-yard attempt finds the back of the net and gives the Union a 2-1 lead.
- 01:40 - A 35-yard freekick by Keon Daniel flies into the box and is met by the onrushing Lionard Pajoy. The Colombian striker is able to convert the freekick to give the Union a 1-0 lead on Schalke.