Depressing. Let's get onto the thoughts...
- Congrats to Lionard Pajoy for ending his shotless streak. It only reached 550 minutes. The bad news is that I'm quite certain any kid on my U-11 teams could've made the save on the "shot" that broke the streak. Keep working, Lionard. Maybe some day you'll be able to test a goalie.
- Once again, the Union announced a 4-4-2 lineup, with Herdling moving up top. And once again, they looked to play more like a 4-5-1. The announcers made a point of mentioning that Herdling was supposed to stay up high and play forward, though his instincts kept bringing him into the midfield. I have a crazy idea. Instead of playing midfielders as our second forward, how 'bout we do something wild and crazy, and play one of our forwards at forward. I know, I know. It's a radical idea. But hey - just tossing it out there.
- I've mentioned previously that I wouldn't necessarily mind making Hackworth the head coach if they canned Nowak. I take it back. Given his sub usage the past two games, I don't think I want any part of Hackworth as the man in charge.
- Speaking of canning Nowak... Is it too soon to put that idea on the table? Is it commonplace in MLS (or soccer in general even), for a coach to get replaced during the season?
- I can't tell you how many times I yelled "SHOOT" at my TV Saturday. I know at least once I had to censor myself from dropping an F bomb, since my daughter and one of her friends were watching with me. I'm flabbergasted that professionals seem to be afraid to shoot - from distance, in the box, whatever. Shoot the damn ball.
- I don't know how Rose didn't get a second yellow for the tackle from behind. Brutal non-call.
And a couple questions that maybe somebody can answer:
A) Can Garfan play in the friendly Wednesday? If so, I would assume it makes sense to throw him in to help him keep his fitness level up?
B) Can somebody explain to me the significance (if any) of the "04" part of Schalke's name?